School of Rock rocks! This is a great movie and teachers will enjoy it a lot. The teacher has to learn how to deal with these students. He does it in a very unusual way. I used the scene for reported speech.
Discuss the following questions with a partner:
1) What should the ideal school be like?
2) Tell your partner about a class you will never forget.
3) Who is your favorite teacher? Justify your answer with examples.
Watch the following video segment and decide who said each of the following lines:
1) My dad won’t let me. __________
2) What’s your name? ___________
3) I only play piano. ____________
4) This is a bass guitar. __________
5) Are there any drummers in the house? _____________
6) I play percussion. ____________
7) Is this a school project? _________
8) What’s the prize? ________
9) Can we tell our parents?__________
10) Who can sing? ________
11) I can sing. _________
Now rewrite the sentences, using reported speech:
1) A student said that his dad wouldn’t let him.
2) The teacher asked what his name was.
3) A student said he only played piano.
Prepare your own video activity on Reported Speech:
• Choose an attractive movie segment with several characters
• Decide which verb tenses you want to assess
• Select a few lines from the segment with the target structures
• Students check which characters said them in the segment
• Students come up with indirect speech statements
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SCHOOL OF ROCK