This movie is a classic. It has a touching message and the story is amazing. The language of the segment is easy and you can have students practice the modal of ability can in a contextualized way.
Discuss the following questions with a partner:
1) Do you think robots will be household maids in the future?
2) Would you like to have a robot as a maid?
3) Do robots have feelings?
4) What are the advantages and disadvantages of having robots as household models?
Complete the blanks with the correct form of the verbs in parentheses, according to the video segment.
1) Andrew _____________ (play) chess.
2) He _____________ (decide) what is best for himself.
3) He ____________ (jump) very high.
4) He ____________ (read) books.
5) He ____________ (feel) what humans feel.
6) Andrew and the girl _____________ (play) the piano.
7) Galatea _____________ (dance) very well.
8) Andrew ____________ (dance) as well as Galatea.
9) Galatea _____________ (fly).
10) Galatea and Andrew _______________ (walk) like humans.
Students talk to each other about whether this is a suitable scenario for the future.
Prepare you own video activity:
Grammar Goal: Can
• Select a segment in which the characters perform activities that show ability
• Prepare a written exercise with blanks for the students to fill in with can/can’t
• Prepare a few questions about the content of the segment for the sake of Communication/listening comprehension
• Students do the assessment exercise after they watch the segment